Saturday, May 17, 2014

2014-05-17: Tumbling Run Shelter

Start: Pen Mar Park
Stop: Tumbling Run Shelter
Day's Mileage: 8.3 miles
Trip Mileage: 8.3 miles

My gear, packed and ready to go. The new Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack is stuffed to the gills and not quite looking like the nice picture in the catalog. Every hiker has a system for stuffing their backpack and the system I used for my Osprey Exos 48 might not work perfectly for the Gorilla. I'm sure, though, that within a few days practicality and experience will provide an arrangement that makes things easy to get and the pack less ungainly. The REI trekking poles are new, too, and have less than 9 miles on them. They're a tad lighter and much straighter (don't ask) than my circa-1999 REI trekking poles.

Me and Bogey at the AT sign in Pen Mar Park. The sign's numbers are a little off since the Trail's length varies a bit year to year, but it's good enough for our photo opportunity. Note the strategic placement of my trekking poles and hands, thus obscuring my stomach and love handles; one of my goals for this trip is to lose the 25 or 30 pounds I gained since we got off the Trail in 2012. (I lost a little over 30 pounds on that hike!)

The view from Pen Mar Park. Such views, sans benches and pavilion, will become common very soon.

Tumbling Run shelter sports two structures, an oddity on the Trail. Someone thoughtfully labeled the shelters "Snoring" and "Non-Snoring." I suggested putting my gear and claiming my place in the non-snoring shelter but was discouraged -- strongly.

The second shelter at Tumbling Run. These shelters are very nice compared to many we see. All shelters are welcome breaks on the Trail and offer respite but there's no doubt that many are very primitive. These, however, are well-kept, airy and had personality.

Bogey, reading the shelter registry. Each shelter is provided a notebook by the local hiking club or the shelter's caretaker(s). Hikers, no matter if their thru-hikers, section hikers, or day hikers, are encouraged to sign and date the register and add a few comments. Most comments are along the lines of "So-and-so stopping in for dinner and a good night's rest!" or "17 miles today. Woohoo!" Oftentimes, though, comments will provide useful information, such as "Water source [is] dry. Look for spring .2 miles farther down the blue blaze" or "Beware! [I] saw a rattlesnake just down the trail!!!" We also use the shelter registry to see if hikers we know or met have passed through and how far ahead they might be. "Hey! It looks like Rum Runner came through two days ago. Man! He's making miles, isn't he?"

No comments:

Post a Comment